The Goonyella coal supply chain moves thermal and coking coal from a total of 18 mines in the Bowen Basin to two adjacent export terminals: Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal (DBCT) and Hay Point Services Coal Terminal (HPSCT).
Ausenco was engaged as the official capacity estimator for DBCT. The work included expanding the simulation model for DBCT to include the entire Goonyella supply chain.
The model included:
- 18 mines supplying product to two distinct terminals
- a shared train fleet of up to 35 trains with scheduled maintenance
- scheduled track maintenance and random disruptions
- scheduled network shutdowns
- electrical power restrictions
- train dispatching logic to reduce network congestion
The simulation results helped to identify potential future bottlenecks and their impact on DBCT operations.