The Carborough Downs Mine is an existing underground coal mine located in the Bowen basin of Queensland approximately 13 km by road west of Coppabella on the Peak Downs highway, and 150 km south west of Mackay.
The expansion project included the introduction of a new longwall mining system, drift conveyor and associated mine site ROM stockpiling and crushing facilities, a 5 km overland conveyor and the expansion of the coal handling and preparation plant (CHPP), which will provide a large increase in the mine’s coking coal and PCI production.
Ausenco’s scope included full Engineering, Procurement and Construction Management (EPCM) services for the design and construction of the new CHPP.
The following were included within the scope of the expansion:
- 500 t/h Coal Preparation Plant
- 4 x belt press filters
- 520 and 300 t/h primary and secondary product conveyors
- 2 x 550 t/h plant feed conveyors
- 500 t/h rejects conveyor (rejects from both plants)
- 3,500 t/h reclaim conveyor, tunnel and four stockpile dischargers
- extension of existing 3,500 t/h reclaim conveyor and additional fifth stockpile discharger
- 1,000 tonne overland conveyor surge bin.
- Brownfields project integrating with existing conveyor systems