This shipping terminal on Ridley Island in northern British Colombia has a handling capacity of 12 Mt/y of coal and design capability for expansion to handle 24 Mt/y.
Principal features of the terminal include:
- A train unloading system with thaw shed, frozen-coal handling equipment and systems for dust extraction and collection
- Two 6,000 t/h stacker/reclaimers
- A 2,000 tonne capacity surge bin
- A coal sample collection system with a testing laboratory
- Two quadrant shiploaders
- A system of conveyors with capacities of up to 11,750 t/h
- A computer-based Terminal Operations Management System
The terminal is located on a rock site, which presented significant design challenges, especially for the marine foundations.
Ausenco provided full EPCM project management services for the coal handling and ancillary facilities, including all design, time and cost control, procurement, expediting, scheduling, reporting, construction management, quality assurance and commissioning.
The terminal is a world class facility, with loading rates that can match or exceed the largest terminals in Australia or South Africa.