Seismic engineering is critical to the success of infrastructure projects - from elementary schools to hydroelectric dams.
Protecting infrastructure from the effects of earthquakes through seismically-aware initial design, and seismic retrofitting of older structures, is a key consideration in current structural engineering.
The seismic engineering group at Ausenco is at the forefront of applying and developing seismic solutions and performance based designs for a wide variety of infrastructure facilities (and marine and industrial facilities as well). Recognised both locally and internationally Ausenco is a strong proponent in the implementation of the most current technology in seismic regulations, the use of appropriate analyses to fully understand structural performance in an earthquake, and in moving industry thinking forward. We have firsthand understanding of structural and infrastructure performance in earthquakes from our post-earthquake reconnaissance missions in North America and abroad.
With an established record of seismic assessment, evaluation, analysis, detailed design and construction-related services of the seismic retrofit of both simple and complex structures, the team brings decades of experience on over 275 projects.
Our seismic experts offer the following services:
- Seismic assessment (both of individual buildings, and inventories of buildings)
- Seismic evaluation (including coordination of surveying and material testing)
- Seismic analyses (including current performance based non-linear time history analyses)
- Seismic upgrade/retrofit (conceptual, preliminary, detailed designs)
- Construction related services (intermittent to full time resident)
- Earthquake engineering for new structures (per current code and ‘outside of code’ using performance based approaches)
- Intimate understanding of all aspects of the Ministry of Education and School District requirements for the study, reporting and detailed design for the retrofitting of BC schools
Specialities include design involving:
- Seismic isolation (base isolation)
- Supplemental energy dissipation (seismic dampers)
- Fibre reinforced polymers (FRP)
- Buckling Restrained Bracing (BRB)
- Liquefiable sites (innovative structural solutions)
- Seismic upgrades with minimal disturbance to operations
- Advanced computer modelling and analyses
- Provision of external peer review