The Akyem mine located in the eastern region of Ghana has an approximate measured and indicated reserve of 7.7 million ounces of gold. First production from the mine is scheduled for late 2013 with an expected mine life of 15 years.
Ausenco Rylson supported Newmont in delivering a operational readiness process plant at the Akyem gold mine by completing the following:
- A hierarchy for plant and equipment
- A criticality analysis to determine the most critical pieces of equipment
- Optimised maintenance strategies and standard task procedures for all assets
- Confirmation of spare parts and material requirements
- CMMS configuration.
The project ensures that asset management plans are in place and functioning from day one of operation. This ensures effective maintenance is executed straightaway which will increase the life of the assets and improve performance thereby reducing costs.
Expected benefits from this project include:
- A superior maintenance program
- Improved availability and reliability of the assets
- Reduced reactive work
- Improved cost performance.