Ausenco, in association with JV Driver Construction (JVD) and Asea Brown Boveri (ABB), constructed a wood residue cogeneration plant on an EPC basis for Finlay Forest Industries at their mill in Mackenzie, BC.
The plant provides 14mw of electricity from steam generated by burning wood waste and sludge. Steam generated meets the paper mill’s entire process and utility steam requirements.
The total electrical output of the new plant displaces purchased power from the local utility. Our responsibilities included consortium and project management, integration of the ABB power train, balance of plant engineering and procurement, training, commissioning and field engineering activities.
As part of the joint venture, Ausenco was also responsible for construction of infrastructure and balance of plant.
The major components of the new plant include:
- Bubbling fluidized bed boiler producing 228,000 lb/hr steam at 950 psig, 900º F
- 14mw extraction/back pressure steam turbine generator
- 2 field, single chamber electrostatic precipitator
- 8,000 ft³/hr hog fuel reclaim system with horizontal rotary screw reclaimer
- 75,000 lb/hr capacity steam dump condenser, operating at 65 psig